Random thoughts on music, the weather, and the power of the young and old:
• You know Mother Nature is confused when September impersonates July and fall allergies start early.
• I was in Texas earlier last week to work on a story and see my family briefly. They’ve had so much rain down there that the state’s leash laws need to be amended to include mosquitoes.
• Agree with this statement wholeheartedly: Some days I need the music and some days I need the lyrics.
Thought-provoking and interesting quotes I’ve read recently:
• From comedienne Robin Fox on getting paid to do what she loves: “Know your worth ... If you’ll work for free why should someone pay you? It is the very definition of being a pro. If you’ll do a free weekend show at a restaurant that won’t even pay you with a sandwich and the place is packed selling food and drinks week after week year after year ... and you’re still willing to perform there ... you’re part of the problem. Being a pro means being paid.”
• About our list obsessions, from David Cantwell in a New Yorker essay on rock critic Greil Marcus: “The List is an essay in enumerated disguise … That click-baiting scourge of our online age, the all-pronouncement-but-no-argument “listicle,” is a different animal.”
If you haven’t had the chance, read these two stories that I saw recently. The first is about an 8-year-old who noticed a boy holding back tears at a football game, so he offered him a seat until his dad arrived. The second is about a 99-year-old man who walks 6 miles a day to visit his wife in the hospital. Both give you hope.
- Jun 9, 2019
- Jun 8, 2019
- Jun 4, 2019
- Jun 2, 2019
- Jun 2, 2019
- May 30, 2019
- May 29, 2019
- May 27, 2019
- May 26, 2019
- May 22, 2019